Pages

06 March 2017

Don't Knock It 'Til Ya Try It

spring, \ˈspriŋ\. Verb. 1. to come into being; 2. to stretch out in height. 

Spring is quickly approaching, and it's one of my favorite times of the year. There's just something about all of the tree blossoms, budding flowers, and warmer weather that make the days more enjoyable and more beautiful. Most days are not too hot and not too cold, and all you need is a light jacket! And if you think about it, the plant cycle of regrowing year after year is pretty dang amazing. 

Ok, that's all neat and stuff, but what does that have to do with the word definition at the top? Well, these are just a few of the definitions of spring, and I want to share a new perspective on this word. When I think of Spring, I typically just think about plants and how lovely the blossoms are (because let's be honest: there's not much that's better than sitting in soft green grass and having fresh blossoms dance around you in the breeze). 

My new perspective, however, focuses on YOU.

Take the definitions above and just think about how they can apply to you. Are you allowing your full potential and your full self come into being, or are you stifling your inner need to grow? When was the last time you stretched yourself and increased the height of your character? These are some pretty personal reflection questions, but it had to be done. We all, myself included, occasionally need reminders to step outside of our comfort zone and try something new. But, in all reality, it's these moments where we step into the unknown and unfamiliar that we walk out a different, better person. 

There are countless examples of this throughout history. To name just a few: 

  • The Renaissance: During this time of history, literature, philosophy, art, science, and more were redefined and redesigned into a new idea that "Man is the measure of all things." A group of individuals decided to take a chance and try looking at their culture and society in a new perspective. This movement resulted in countless advances that helped our society get to where it is today. 
                                                           
  • The Enlightenment: following the Renaissance, the Enlightenment era focused more on changing how we think about politics, progress, and government. Many people were motivated by the motto of "Dare to Know," and their ideas resulted in new scientific, political, and societal advances. 

  • Rock and Roll Music: before rock and roll, African American and Caucasian music styles were kept separate. However, cultures combined over time, especially in large cities, and radio stations began playing styles from both cultures. Eventually, Rock and Roll artists (Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, etc.) decided to try a new style of music by combining styles from both sides and creating something magnificent. 

Now, I'm no history buff or music expert, but these are a few examples of how people decided to take a chance, try something new, and change themselves and the world around them. I know these are also more grand events than what most of us experience in our lifetime, but just focus on the principle. Have you ever stepped out of your comfort zone and tried something new? What did it feel like? Odds are, you enjoyed the experience. If not, you now learned for sure that you do not like skydiving or eating exotic foods or dancing in front of people (to name a few out-of-your-comfort-zone things). But whatever way the cookie crumbles, most people don't regret taking chances; instead, you'll regret staying inside your comfort zone and not seeking ways to expand your character.

So! To the point of all this rambling: I am extending a CHALLENGE to you. This month, think of something that you have been wanting to try but have been too nervous to make it happen. Now, take a deep breath, use 20 seconds of insane courage, and make it happen. And don't worry, I'm going to do it with you. This is what I'm going to do: 

I grew up with art. My dad is an artist, I took art lessons, and I studied art as part of my college education. Although I love doing art, I don't like showing it. I always get intimidated and feel like my work isn't worth showing. But this month, I'm going to actually publicly display my art. Guys, this is a big step for me. But I'm going to do it. I'm doing it do it this weekend, and I'll come back next week and share how it went! 

Best of luck to you! Si se puede! (You can do it!) And please share what you did to step out of your comfort zone this month and what happened when you did it. We'd love to hear about your experiences! 

TTFN. 
-Bridget 

1 comment:

  1. Share some photos with us too...we'd love to see it online!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! We appreciate your time! Let's keep things clean & peaceful here. Thanks, guys.