Pages

22 February 2019

Double Duty


Hello, again!

It’s been a while, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading. In fact, I’ve read several books, and now it’s time to play catch-up on my reviews.

So, when I started my reading goal, I just started going through my bookshelf, reading the books in order as they were there, whether or not I actually wanted to start reading them in the first place (some books just sound more appealing than others, ya know?). Well, I was doing that, and then my sister let me borrow 2 books, so I put my bookshelf on hold and read those.

Image result for marie kondo book

First was The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. It’s a good read, and she has some great stories and tips in there, but to be honest - a book about tidying just wasn’t doing it for me. So, I ended up reading only about half of it. But it’s by no means a bad book! In fact, it’s really good, and I picked up a few tidying tips that I’ve implemented into my home.

It might have been difficult for me to stay engaged with a book about tidying because I knew what book was next, and I just wanted to get to it. You see, the second book my sister let me borrow was Harry Potter and The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany. And the Harry Potter nerd in me just wanted to get to it right away!!

So, today’s book review is on The Cursed Child because I actually read all of that book :)

Image result for cursed child book

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child is the story of Harry Potter’s son, Albus, some 17 years after Harry finishes school at Hogwarts. The book itself isn’t very long, and the fact that it’s a play script makes it easy to read even faster-- I ended up reading it in like 2 days, haha. I just couldn’t put it down!

But, the story focuses on Albus and his friend, Scorpius Malfoy (whom I love, by the way), as Albus strives to prove himself. It’s a story of complicated father-son relationships, loyalty, friendship, deception, self-discovery, and triumph.

And it’s wonderful.

While the book’s main characters are new to us, the authors work the story in a way that they bring in a lot of old and familiar faces, which brings a sense of nostalgia to those who have read the original Harry Potter books. I’m not going to get into details because I don’t want to give anything away, but even though this book is a play script, it does a fantastic job of keeping the reader engaged in every way.

I will say that this book kind of made me not like Harry even more than I did before (Harry was never my favorite character in the series). In The Cursed Child, Harry feels more like a whiner to me. But, the authors do a good job of also helping me realize that he’s also just trying his best. And, he didn’t have parents to set an example for him. All he had was the unloving Dursleys for his example of being a parent. So, I can see more of where he’s coming from in this book...but he’s still not my favorite. But, The Cursed Child does make me like Draco a lot more, and his son, Scorpious, who really is awesome.

So, if you’re a fan of Harry Potter, definitely go read The Cursed Child. It won’t take you long, but it will definitely be a memorable read!

P.S. IMBD says that there will be a Harry Potter and the Cursed Child movie in 2020, which, if true, I am so excited for! Seriously, as I was reading this book, I could picture it all in my head, and I think a movie could be awesome (granted, if they have a good director, etc.). I was also |this| close to seeing the Broadway play, which would’ve been awesome, but that didn’t work out. So, next time. For now, I will just enjoy the book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! We appreciate your time! Let's keep things clean & peaceful here. Thanks, guys.