Pages

01 November 2018

Bookworm Book Review: Austenland


Hello, friends.
I have a new book review for you. Woohoo! 😊  Today’s book of choice: Austenland, by Shannon Hale.

Now, before you go and decide to close out this post because you’re not a fan of Jane Austen, let me just start by saying: I’m the same way!! But guess what, this book is absolutely wonderful.
A few years ago, when I was on a study abroad, a lot of my fellow travel mates kept talking about the recent movie Austenland and how hilarious it was. Since then, I meant to find the movie and watch it… but I never did. Then, in late September, I was at a sleepover party with our Young Women’s group, and I mentioned the movie. One of the other leaders said that I should read the book. Not only that, but she had it and let me borrow it!
I’m all about finding new books to read, and when she said that it was really great, so I figured I’d give it a chance. And let me tell you: I'm so glad I read it!! 
_______________________


Have you ever been or known someone who is obsessed with Jane Austen novels? More specifically, have you or someone you know ever been obsessed with Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice? Let’s face it- we’ve all dreamt that a handsome, sophisticated man like Mr. Darcy would come into our lives and sweep us off our feet, making us constantly feel like we were the most beautiful and wonderful woman alive. Well, that’s Jane.
No, not Jane Austen. Jane is the main character of Austenland (although the character Jane very well could be a fair portrayal of Austen). Jane is the definition of a woman who is obsessed with Mr. Darcy. She knows it and she’s slightly ashamed by it, but she can’t seem to let it go… even when it ruins every relationship she ever has.
Then, out of nowhere, one of Jane’s relatives pays for her to go to a secluded resort called Austenland: a place where all the men dress in breeches and say things like “Have you ever considered that you might have this all backwards? That in fact you are my fantasy?” and “If I never had to speak with another human being but you, I would die a happy man.”
*Cue the wishful sigh and buckled knees*
As Jane goes through her visit at Austenland, she struggles to master the Regency manners and etiquette, all while flirting with the gentlemen around her (and the actors who play them). She knows everything in this place is fake and a game, yet the longer she’s there, she can’t help but wonder if her being here will cleanse her of her Darcy obsession once and for all… or if she might actually be able to find her own Mr. Darcy.

As a summary, I'm going to list just a few of my favorite things about this book:
  • It is a very quick and easy read; I finished in a matter of days. 
  • It is so funny! There were a few times where I literally laughed out loud, and many more times when I smirked to myself as I read in my work breakroom.
  • I love all of the connections that Hale makes to Jane Austen novels and style. She has a natural way of using satire to create a fun story that also somewhat pokes fun at the classic Jane Austen stories, characters, problems, and romance. 
  • The layout of the book is different and fun. At the start of each chapter, there is a short blurb about one of Jane’s past boyfriends…who, of course, didn’t stay around long because her obsession with Mr. Darcy got in the way. But these little blurbs are unique, and they are a fun way to learn more about the main character.
  • The story is so well told and uses such fun, clever language that I really could not put this book down! I never wanted to stop reading!

If you guys are looking for something that’s just fun and easy to read, Austenland is an excellent choice.


Alrighty! Well, on to the next book. Just so you all know, I am currently reading three different books… at the same time… so, it might be a while before I can actually finish one and write about it. But, just know that I’m still reading, and there are plenty more good books to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! We appreciate your time! Let's keep things clean & peaceful here. Thanks, guys.